- Publication Data：
- Last updated：2020-02-12
- Count Views：45
During the Japanese Ruling period, Taitung area was dubbed as Taitung Ting. After the Recovery of Taiwan, Taitung was upgraded as Taitung County. During that time, there was no district court or district prosecutors office in Taitung, and all of the civil and criminal litigations, the non-contentious matters and criminal investigations were conducted under the jurisdiction of Hualien District Court and Hualien District Prosecutors Office. However, Taitung is located at the south-east coast of Taiwan and surround by mountains. The distance between Taitung and Hualien is about 198 kilometers and the traffic is inconvenient. It costs a lot and takes much time for people in Taitung to convene before the court in Hualien as well as for the personnel in Hualien to perform duties such as forensic medical examination, inspection in Taitung and the delivery of sentenced prisoners. As a result, the locals continuously suggested the government and hoped the establishment of Taitung District Court and Taitung District Prosecutors Office for the convenience of people in Taitung. The former Ministry of Judicial Executive granted the establishment of Taitung District Court and Taitung District Prosecutors Office in Taitung township in 1945 and appointed Mr.Pong,Gee-Shang as the fist chief judge to take charge of the establishment of the court in October 1945.(During that time the prosecutorial authority was not separated and independent from the court yet and the routine work was not very complicated so there was only a chief judge appointed to be in charge of the establishment and no chief prosecutor was appointed). However there was no appropriate office building for the court and prosecutors office. After looking for, the cotton and linen develop factory of the former Agriculture and Forestry Division of Taiwan Provincial Government located at no.128 Bou-ai Rd. Taitung City was choosen as the location of office building. After negotiating with the former Agriculture and Forestry Division , the former Agriculture and Forestry Division agreed to cede the site as the office of Taitung District Court and Prosecutors Office. Even though the building was old and lack of equipment, due to the shortage of financial budget to rebuild, there was only simple renovation with basic placement of facilities to meet the establishment.
The former Ministry of Judicial Executive formally approved the establishment of Taitung District Court and Taitung District Prosecutors Office on December 28th 1949 and appointed Mr. Cheng, Jing-Wen as the first chief prosecutor who worked in the same office with Taitung District Court. The office building was a former factory which was old and dilapidated, so it was not considered as an appropriate place to serve as trial court, investigation room and office.
In 1963, the third term chief judge Wang,Yung-Shin and the forth term chief prosecutor Shei,Chung-Tang used the residual budget accumulated in the past three years together with the financial supprot from the former Ministry of Judicial Executive and the financial aid from Taitung County Government, totally amounted to two million New Taiwan Dollars to tear down the dilapidated old building and construct a new office building which was completed in July 1963.
In 1980, the prosecutors office was separated and independent from the court, therefore the office building of Taitung District Court and Taitung District Prosecutors Office were divided and separated from each other for future management and use according to their original ambit. Afterwards, with the increase of population as well as case load in Taitung, together with the enlargement of personnel, the space in the original office building was obviously not enough. Under the guidance of Ministry of Justice, with the reconstruction plan and financial budget, the office, archives, bailiff office(including detention room, garage, duty room, investigation room, bail room), library and recreation room were under construction from 1985 to 1987 to make the building with enhanced facilities.